Re: Wireless PCI Cards - Which Work?

Thomas H. George wrote:

I did a Google search and found forlorn messages from someone trying to get a Linksys PCI card to work. I have one of those too and wasted over a month two years ago trying to get it to work. Finally gave up and bought the Netgear card which, with a little start up script, worked like a charm.

The point of this message? Two years have gone by since my struggles with the Linklsys card and we have progressed from Woody to Sarge and from 2.4 to 2.6 kernels. I thought the problems would all be history but the Google search indicates this is not the case.

I bought a LinkSys WRT54GS router and WPC54GS card for my laptop and it works fine. (kernel 2.6.8). It was only back in March but I don't remember many details. I think I already had hotplug/udev/hal etc installed. I even have an icron on the menubar showing the signal strength. I found the following in /etc/network/interfaces just now, but there is probably more to it all. This isn't enough to be helpful but I just wanted to point out the the LinkSys card does work for me.

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback