Is Debian Print Cartridge Refilling friendly?

I´m not exactly willing to pay 50 times to
Hewlett Packard my inkjet printer,with this
"pick pocket" business model of selling
printers with a low price and print cartridges
with a very high price,so I decided to refill
my cartridges.I know that in Windows,Mac OS,
Mac OS X the drivers and associated programs
have all kind of tricks to difficult the
refilling effectiveness,so is the Debian print
system "refill friendly"? I would like to
know about related experiences and advice.

               Thanks.

Note: The development of the hpijs driver is
      directly connected to Hewlett Packard,
      so I have some suspicions about that.