Re: Domain question

--- Rob Brenart <debian@oculardata.com> wrote:

> So I have a handful of computers at home, turning
> into a home office...
> servers are debian sarge, laptops are WindowsXP....
> I set the domain for
> the debian machines as ODS, but as of right now I
> haven't done any such
> thing for the XP machines because they complain
> about there not being a
> PDC for that domain.
>
> I don't really care yet about any kind of
> centralized user management or
> whatnot, what I care about is for the machines to be
> able to see each
> other by machinename... right now I have to go by
> IP, which aren't
> reserved so it's kind of a pain.
>
> So is there a quick way to this solution, or do I
> need to turn a debian
> box into a PDC, can I even do that?

You can achieve what you want with SAMBA , a very good
article that talks about configure yor samba as Domain
Controller is at:

http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-02/samba_01.html

Also I think worthily to configure bind9 as a caching
only server and include you names for your machines.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Enjoy, hope this helps.

Regards.

--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)