Domain question

So I have a handful of computers at home, turning into a home office... servers are debian sarge, laptops are WindowsXP.... I set the domain for the debian machines as ODS, but as of right now I haven't done any such thing for the XP machines because they complain about there not being a PDC for that domain.

I don't really care yet about any kind of centralized user management or whatnot, what I care about is for the machines to be able to see each other by machinename... right now I have to go by IP, which aren't reserved so it's kind of a pain.

So is there a quick way to this solution, or do I need to turn a debian box into a PDC, can I even do that?