Re: Etch vs. Sarge -- can't make up my mind

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 02:55:48PM -0500, Jim Hall wrote:

> I hope my question fits in with the original post in this thread because
> Mr. Sher asked about getting the latest releases. There are some
> packages (I'm thinking specifically of wine) that are under heavy
> development with daily builds. Can upgrades for this kind of package be
> gotten from the current "testing" or "sid" without risking the basic
> stability of the current "stable" (sarge in this case)? I suspect that
> "testing" would be "safer" than "sid".

People will argue about whether Testing or Unstable is safer -- Unstable
gets quicker security updates, for one thing.

As to your question:  not in general.  Right now, packages for Etch will
very probably work in Sarge, but once Etch institutes major library changes
(as will happen very soon, I believe) you'd have to install large numbers of
support packages for most Etch or Sid packages to work.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.