Re: Kernel configuration could not be read?

Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
>
>>Benjamin Sher wrote:
>>

>>>In the KDE Control Center, under System Admin, Linux Kernel, I read the
>>>following on the main screen to the right:
>>>
>>>---------------------------------------
>>>
>>>The kernel configuration could not be read....
>>>
>>>No hardware architecture was specified...
>>>
>>>Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you just
>>>found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator.
>>>
>>>---------------------------------------
>>>

>>That just means that you don't have the source for your kernel installed

Looking more closely at it, it appears I'm not exactly correct. Instead,
it appears that the KDE tool is looking for a different distro's setup.

You can fool it somewhat, by creating a symlink named "config.in" in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/ that points to "defconfig" in that same
directory, assuming you have the kernel source installed, or if you
don't have the kernel source, you can symlink it (from the same
directory - you'll have to manually create the structure) to
/boot/config[your kernel's version]. It still generates an error
however, at least on my box.

So, rather than my first explanation, it appears that indeed there is "a
bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator".

Still, it's nothing to worry about.

--
Kent