Re: Kernel configuration could not be read?

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 09:33 pm, Kent West wrote:
> Benjamin Sher wrote:
> >Dear friends:
> >
> >In the KDE Control Center, under System Admin, Linux Kernel, I read the
> >following on the main screen to the right:
> >
> >---------------------------------------
> >
> >The kernel configuration could not be read....
> >
> >No hardware architecture was specified...
> >
> >Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you just
> >found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator.
> >
> >---------------------------------------
> >
> >What does this mean, please? Anything to worry about?
>
> That just means that you don't have the source for your kernel installed.
> Instead, you have a pre-built binary. If you had compiled your own, you
> would by necessity have the source.  Apparently this KDE Control Center
> thingy is just looking for the source, to read some information and present
> it to you in a nice format. Not finding the source, it instead generates
> this error.
>
> No, it's nothing to worry about.
>
> --
> Kent

I think this part of the control center only works with 2.4 kernels, actually
-- I'm running 2.6.12 from source and there's still nothing there, and I've
never seen that module work except when I was running the 2.4 series, even in
other distros.

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber