Fwd: New to debian

Ment to send this to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Martin <chriscodes@gmail.com>
Date: Jul 12, 2005 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: New to debian
To: Johan <johanscheepers@hypermail.co.za>

On 7/12/05, Johan <johanscheepers@hypermail.co.za> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am absolutely new to debian but not to linux. (Mandrake,  Suse,
> Ubuntu) the easy ones?
>
> I have debian "sarge" 14 cd's.
>
> While installing I almost thought that I was installing ubuntu up to a
> point.
> All cd's is registered in apt-get (2 to 14).
>
> That point is this installation only go as far as the command line.
>
> Does not even have startx.
>
> Usually I end up with a graphical interface.
>
> Obviously this time not. Ok, I did some surfing but the documentation
> tells me to do what actually has already being done by the installer.
>
> Please I would like to get further than the command line.
>
> Kindly how to proceed?

Did you select Desktop System while installing?
If not you'll need to install X, and your WM of choice (KDE, gnome, etc.).

If you get all that installed, and your X configuration is just off,
you can boot with a Knoppix CD and copy the XF86Config-4 from that.
That usually works for me.

--
Chris Martin
Web Developer