Re: New to debian

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 02:30 pm, Johan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am absolutely new to debian but not to linux. (Mandrake,  Suse,
> Ubuntu) the easy ones?
>
> I have debian "sarge" 14 cd's.
>
> While installing I almost thought that I was installing ubuntu up to a
> point.
> All cd's is registered in apt-get (2 to 14).
>
> That point is this installation only go as far as the command line.
>
> Does not even have startx.
>
> Usually I end up with a graphical interface.
>
> Obviously this time not. Ok, I did some surfing but the documentation
> tells me to do what actually has already being done by the installer.
>
> Please I would like to get further than the command line.
>
> Kindly how to proceed?
>
> Thanks
>
> Johan.

You can 'apt-get install x-window-system' and then 'apt-get install kde' or
'apt-get install gnome' to get your desktop environment of choice --
alternately, you can run 'tasksel' and choose to install the Desktop
Environment set of packages -- this should get everything ready to go!

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber