Grub problem

Hi there
 I have a problem with GRUB on one of our school machines.
When I install Sarge with default settings (meaning I press only
enter at all options during installation) and install GRUB into the MBR
the machine cannot reboot. GRUB reports something like

GRUB hardisk error!

(I'm not sure if this was the exact error message). If I do the
same installation procedure but install LILO the machine reboots as
expected (means that the  bootloader works). I've allready changed the
harddrive but the problem remains.
Has anyone an idea of whats going wrong here? A mainboard problem (would
be strange)?
I really have to solve this problem. Thanks for your ideas

best regards
       Eugen