Re: udev lost my mouse.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just updated my unstable, and udev lost my mouse.  Not sure what
> happened, but /dev/input/mice and friends are gone. Only
> /dev/input/event[0-3] is there.  I must admit that I really don't like
> udev, although others really prefer it.  I tried to stay away from it,
> since the last time I used it, it would always lose devices that I once
> had.  But since the dependencies have finally forced me to go back to it,
> and I was fine since it seemed to have improved, but here we go again.  I
> really hate losing time over udev, when I never had any trouble with
> either mknod or devfs.
>
> So, I've started reading the documentation on udev, and I haven't found
> the best source to get my mouse back.  Since I really need this to do
> work, I don't want to waste more time in debugging udev then I need to.
> If anyone knows the solution to get my mouse back, let me know.

OK, I figured it out.  It wasn't directly the problem of udev (but I still
blame it :-)  but the mouse driver wasn't being loaded anymore. Don't know
why, I booted an older kernel, and it loaded the mouse driver, but not a
recent kernel.  Oh well, adding the mouse drive into /etc/modules works.
So I sort of apologize to the udev folks, but atleast with the old mknod,
I would have seen (device not found) and looked harder at the kernel.

Once again...
> I'm not on the list, so please CC me.

-- Steve