Re: SBC DSL Service

> I was contacted by SBC(telephone service) about DSL service which I
> want.  While talking to the rep, found out that their DSL service
> wont work on Linux OS(they say just MSWindows and MacIntosh OS).  I
> find this hard to believe

And well you might. I've been using SBC with DSL for about three years
now with success. The problem is that they have three tiers of
technical advice, and the lowest tier knows nothing. Mention the word
"Linux," and you are virtually cut off.

They officially don't support Linux (you are told in no uncertain
terms at tier 1), but when you get to the second tier, you often speak
with a friendly and knowledgable individual who is probably running
Linux himself. If not satisfied with tier 1, you can insist on
speaking with someone at tier 2.

The automatic installation program that comes on the cd disk is for
Windows, but it is a snap to set up on your own without it. They
supplied me with an Efficient Networks adapter, which has worked fine,
but I gather they supply other brands as well. If the adapter is
self-contained, you should have no problem; if it is a cheapo that
relies on your computer CPU for some of its work, you may be in for
trouble. I don't whether such beasties exist.

You should know that SBC has the unfortunate practice of blocking
ranges of a commercial service IP addresses used by a private
person. This has caused me grief and required a work around. If you
are contracting for a private service, I suspect you won't have that
experience.

> As best I can get out of SBC, the problem is involved in accessing
> the linux windows gui.  It seems that all the modem drivers are
> built in and are not accessable except by the GUI.

Not sure I follow you. There shouldn't be any "linux windows gui" as
far as I can make out. If you mean accessing SBC website for
administering your site, no problem. Perhaps the Windows CD that comes
with the service includes a setup gui utility, but that would not be
your concern. Trash it.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM