Re: [SOLVED] Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 bug or my own stupidity?

On (11/07/05 18:42), Tom wrote:
> [11/07/2005 -- 18:13u] Clive Menzies:
>
> > > When I try that, I get this:
> > >
> > > [17:56:53 tom ~] su
> > > Password:
> > > [root: /home/tom] su postgres
> > > [root: /home/tom] psql
> > > psql: FATAL:  database "root" does not exist
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tom
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > $ psql Template1
> >
> > or
> >
> > $ psql test
>
> That didn't work either... With Template1, I got an error about the
> database (that would be "template1" instead), but otherwise, there were
> errors about user "root" being unknown.
>
> In the meantime, though, I received a mail from the package maintainer,
> in which he suggested to use "su -s /bin/bash postgres" instead of just
> plain "su postgres", and indeed, that seems to have done the trick:
>
> [root: /home/tom] su -s /bin/bash postgres
> postgres@zukunft:/home/tom$ createuser -A -D tom
> CREATE USER
>
> Obviously, I'm left wondering why "-s /bin/bash" was not the default
> (I've never changed anything about login procedures on my machine).
>
> Anyway, let's hope this trivial problem's solution can be found by
> others in similar situations, then. :-)
>
> Thank you all for your help,

No problem.  What is weird (mind you I'm using 7.4.7-6sarge1) is that
when I do:

clive@Zeus:~$ su
Password:
Zeus:/home/clive# su postgres

I get:

postgres@Zeus:/home/clive$

Go figure ;)

Anyway, glad it's sorted.  Its worth having a look at pgadmin3 which is
quite user friendly for interfacing with the data base and dealing with
privileges.

Regards

Clive

--