Re: Second time on hostname

> Haines Brown wrote:
> > I'm having some difficulties (From: line missing in header of
> > outgoing newsgroup mesaages) and worry their cause might be due to
> > what I put into /etc/hostname when I installed. =20
>
> I think you need to look at your news software first.  The problem
> is probably there.

After turning to backup files, and finding everything else works
properly, I'm getting the impression my concern may have been
imaginary. Neither gnus or rmail have the From: line in the header
when I compose the message, but my BCC and FCC copies do have it, and
I hope that the header of this message when it arrives at the list now
looks OK.

I changed /etc/hostname simply to the local hostname because I was
informed that it is the debian way. Doing so and rebooting seems to
have worked.

> Some programs such as Postfix expect the fully qualifed hostname and
> if not then need special configuration (e.g /etc/mailname to have
> the fully qualified name).

I found out how to tell postfix to deal with a simple local hostname
(run the command # postconf -e myhostname=<FQDN>). It seems to be
working.

The only thing that still bothers me is my /etc/hosts, perhaps only
because I sense I can clean it up a bit. I'm configured to be a host
on a local network, although I'm not actually running a network
now. You seem to be saying I could well remove the FQDN from the
loopback:

  127.0.0.1 	localhost localhost.localdoman teufel.hartford-hwp.com
  192.168.1.1	teufel teufel.localdomain

I was told to use instead:

  127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
  127.0.1.1 teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

but that definitely does not work (can't send mail), so using the
first configuration, which at least works. What in it could be
simpler or more standard?

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM