Re: Sharing the internet connection with XP

On 7/10/05, Björn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> wrote:
> I will now give you some more information about my network:
>
> 1. Connection to local network 2, connected
> TCP/IP settings
> IP: 192.168.0.1
> Netmask: 255.255.255.0
> Standard gateway: none

This is the network card in your PC that is connected to your local network?

> 2. 1394 connection, connected (1394 Net Adapter)
> TCP/IP settings
> IP: 172.20.0.1
> Netmask: 255.255.0.0
> Standard gateway: none

This is the network card in the Powerbook?

> 3. Connection to local network, connected
> Connection is now shared
> (Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet)
> TCP/IP settings
> IP: automatically from my ISP provider
> Netmask: none
> Standard gateway: none
> DNS: automatically from my ISP provider

This is the network card in your PC that is connected to your DSL modem?

How can you event communicate between Powerbook and PC with these settings?
The PC is on net 192.168.0.X and the Powerbook is on net 172.20.X.X?
I would set the card in the Powerbook to 192.168.0.2 or something,
then communication
should work (Try if you can ping the PC from the powerbook and vice versa).

> When it comes to: /etc/network/interfaces
> Here's the information from the mac:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

Okay (this is 127.0.0.1/localhost)

> iface NIL inet static
> name Ethernet LAN card
> address 172.20.0.1
> netmask 255.255.0.0
> broadcast 172.20.255.255
> network 172.20.0.0
>
> auto NIL

Try this:

iface NIL inet static
  address 192.168.0.2
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.0.1

auto NIL

Use "ifdown NIL" and "ifup NIL" to activate these settings.

> So, what happens now is that I can ftp different ftp locations,
> but the only thing which I see, is the IP address of that
> location. For example: ncftp ftp://www.debian.org
> gives me the IP numbers, but I'm unable to connect.

This is strange, because if you're getting the IP numbers,
you should be online.

> If I add a gateway to the shared network(on the Windows system of course)
> then I'm unable to see the IP numbers at all, so that gives me no connection
> what's so ever.

You don't need to set a gateway whatsoever on the Windows system. The Windows
system IS your gateway in this scenario.

> Any clues on how I can fix this?
> To be able to connect to my Powerbook through my PC, I need to deactive the
> shared connection which I create with the Windows guide system. Then FTP
> will work again but that would lead me back to square one.. Phew!

I don't really know how this all works in Windows, all I know is that
I didn't have to use any guide system. There was a simple option to
share the connection somewhere... this was with Dialup though...

If FTP works, you are on the right track.

cheers,
Christian