Re: Sharing the internet connection with XP

At 13:59 2005-07-10, you wrote:
The PC has 2 network cards. The first one is connected to an ethernet ADSL
modem. The second network card is connected to a 100Mbit switch which is
connected to my Powerbook.

I now have a working connection between these 2 computers, I have succesfully
transferred files by ftp, but this is only in the local network. So...
Any suggestions?

Both the PC and the Mac has a static IP address which is used in the local
network. My connection to the internet, there I
get an automatic IP address from
my ISP.

What does ipconfig say? I would edit your /etc/network/interfaces to get a dynamic IP from your XP machine and list the XP's IP as the gateway and you should be done. I guess it should work with a fixed IP as well if you have the gateway right. If you don't get it working easily, send the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file. - John

Well. I have reconfigured the system as you said. But the Powerbook can't identify the ADSL modem. It ONLY works with the PC. Perhaps I should have said that from the beginning, oops. :-( But now I know how to do it if I buy another modem, which I can't do right now btw.
Any suggestion about a good ADSL modem(minimum 8Mbit) which works with Linux?

Can't the Powerbook access the internet through the PC in another way? :-/
If not, I will temporary shut off internet sharing so that I at least can use ftp through my little
netowrk.

Greetings
Björn