Re: exim3, mbox, maildir, exim4

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:08:11AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I would like to upgrade from exim3 to exim 4 (now that I have
> upgraded from woody to sarge), and also from mbox to maildir
> format.  Should I upgrade the mailbox format before, during, or
> after upgrading exim?  Or are the two upgrades completely independent?
>
> Does setting exim to use maildirs cause any conflicts for existing
> mbox format files?  Or can the new maildirs function properly
> side-by-side with old mboxes until they are converted? In particular,
> would the standard name for $USER's maildir be /var/mail/$USER,
> in which case the mbox-formatted file there would have to go.

Hi hendrik,

a) Are you using fetchmail+procmail?

b) If you have a working mail system now, upgrade to exim4.
Choose monolithic config.

If you download your mail from an isp using fetchmail add:
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection=0
to your /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template file then run update-exim4.conf

Changing from mbox to maildir is not necessarily an upgrade. :-)
AFAIK, changing from mbox --> maildir, or maildir --> mbox can be done
at any time.

But if you want maildir:

You will need in your .muttrc:
set folder=~/Mail
set mbox_type=Maildir
set header_cache="~/Mail/cache" # mkdir ~/Mail/cache first

You will need in your .procmailrc
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/maildir

(sample recipe using debian-user as example)
:0
* ^Resent-Sender.*debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
IN-debian-user/

for mbox, the recipe would be:
:0:
* ^Resent-Sender.*debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
IN-debian-user

*Note* If you have mail in your 'IN-debian-user' already, move it before
running fetchmail again.

I hope this helps, please ask a specific question if I am not clear.

--
Chris.
======