exim3, mbox, maildir, exim4

I would like to upgrade from exim3 to exim 4 (now that I have
upgraded from woody to sarge), and also from mbox to maildir
format.  Should I upgrade the mailbox format before, during, or
after upgrading exim?  Or are the two upgrades completely independent?

Does setting exim to use maildirs cause any conflicts for existing
mbox format files?  Or can the new maildirs function properly
side-by-side with old mboxes until they are converted? In particular,
would the standard name for $USER's maildir be /var/mail/$USER,
in which case the mbox-formatted file there would have to go.

-- hendrik