Re: exim3, mbox, maildir, exim4

* Hendrik Boom <hendrik@pooq.com> [0708 15:08]:
> I would like to upgrade from exim3 to exim 4 (now that I have
> upgraded from woody to sarge), and also from mbox to maildir
> format.  Should I upgrade the mailbox format before, during, or
> after upgrading exim?  Or are the two upgrades completely independent?

They can be, I'd do it that way if I were you.

> Does setting exim to use maildirs cause any conflicts for existing
> mbox format files?  Or can the new maildirs function properly
> side-by-side with old mboxes until they are converted? In particular,
> would the standard name for $USER's maildir be /var/mail/$USER,
> in which case the mbox-formatted file there would have to go.

You just tell exim to use a new path to the Maildir box, it shouldn't touch
the old mboxes.

Also, you do realise that Maildir isn't a single file, don't you? You talk as
though it is...

--
'Cheer loudly at 8.00pm each Saturday to fool the neighbours into thinking you have won the Lottery.'
		-- Top Tips