Re: should etch be Debian 4.0 ?

Hendrik Boom <hendrik@pooq.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 11:23:10AM -0400, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> > Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@yahoo.com> writes:

> > > I'd add that it's not deliberate ambiguity as a means to
> > > any particular end, so much as it not being an
> > > appropriate stage of the development of etch for the
> > > decision to be made if a major or minor version upgrade
> > > is appropriate. This does matter; this list wouldn't
> > > take long to hear from a whole tribe of people with
> > > nothing better to do than complain about unimportant
> > > things if they decided it was to be 3.2 now and then it
> > > turned out that the changes were massive and the
> > > upgrade path difficult... likewise if they decided 4.0
> > > now and then it turned out the changes were small and
> > > relatively minor .
> >
> > Are people really going to look at the version number and say, "I've
> > got sarge now and since new number is 3.2 i'll upgrade but if it were
> > 4.0 i'd sit still?"  Have people done this in the past?
> >
> > Releases come every 3-4 years so why not let the release notes explain
> > the changes.  A version number might make sense for automated things
> > where cron downloads and installs a minor increment but not major
> > one.  This is so seldom that manual intervention isn't too much to ask
> > for.
> >
> > Since the difference is subtle, why have the distinction?  Why not use
> > next release is 4.0 and the one after that 5.0 and so on *no matter
> > how small the update*?
>
> Well, no matter whether the etch release next year or later is going to
> be a big or a little upgrade, etch isn't stable yet, and so if
> it's going to be 4.0 or 3.2 or 3.1415 or whatever, the numbers
> (if any) for what we have now are going to have to be less than that.
> So for the time being, 4.0 is probably inappropriate as a version
> number.

I don't see why 4 is inappropriate.  4 has been the successor to 3
for a few thousand years.  I don't think that will change in the next
decade.

> 3.2 might be OK.  3.1.9 is probably too close to numbers for sarge
> with security upgrades.

But still, I ask, why the minor and major numbers?  Does this help
anyone in the least?

Others ask why a number at all.  That's a good question.

> But does it even need a version number right now?

Or will it need a version number ever?  Seriously, what is the point?

Etch.0 etch.1 &c might be ok.  Call it etch.0 while in testing.  Then
etch.1 at release.  Roll-up upgrades are etch.2 etch.3 &c.