Re: exim4 & spamassassin - no spam scanning

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 00:08 +0100, Branden Faulls wrote:
> After a recent upgrade to sarge, I decided to update exim to exim4.  This was
> fairly painless, until I tried to configure spamassassin.
>
> Following instructions at: http://koivi.com/exim4-config/
>
> I added a transport to /etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_spamcheck
> and a router to /etc/exim4/conf.d/router/850_exim4-config_spamcheck_router
>
> Mail is still being delivered fine, but the SPAM headers are not being added
> to the received email and the /var/log/exim4/mainlog reports that mail is
> being collected and delivered immediately to the necessary Maildir folder.
>
> What am I missing?  How do I get Spamassassin to scan the mail and tag it so
> that I can filter it out  with .forward rules, as I had previously?  I
> upgraded in the hope I could get sa-learn working, but so far spamassassin is
> a non-starter.

You may want to take a look at sa-exim. It's an exiscan "plugin" that
scans your mail at SMTP time. I've found it to be fairly easy to
configure.

Since you are using exim4, you should probably run spamassassin at SMTP
time rather than after. If nothing else, this is the "responsible" way
to use spamassassin. Most spammers send mail from forged addresses, and
if you accept, then bounce spam (as you are doing in the config you
mentioned), it gets dumped on some poor sysadmin and his innocent domain
(it also uses up your own resources and bandwidth). If you scan and
reject spam at SMTP time, you don't foist your spam problems on anyone
else.

If you are trying to use spamc + spamd, make sure that you enable the
daemon in /etc/default/spamassassin (it's disabled by default).

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg