Re: Sharing the internet connection with XP

On 7/10/05, Björn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> wrote:
> At 13:59 2005-07-10, you wrote:
> >>The PC has 2 network cards. The first one is connected to an ethernet ADSL
> >modem. The second network card is connected to a 100Mbit switch which is
> >connected to my Powerbook.
> >
> >>I now have a working connection between these 2 computers, I have succesfully
> >transferred files by ftp, but this is only in the local network. So...
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >>Both the PC and the Mac has a static IP address which is used in the local
> >network. My connection to the internet, there I
> >get an automatic IP address from
> >my ISP.
> >

> >What does ipconfig say?  I would edit your
> >/etc/network/interfaces to get a dynamic IP from
> >your XP machine and list the XP's IP as the
> >gateway and you should be done.  I guess it
> >should work with a fixed IP as well if you have
> >the gateway right.  If you don't get it working
> >easily, send the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file.  - John
> >

> Well. I have reconfigured the system as you said.
> But the Powerbook can't identify the ADSL modem.

Who said anything about hooking the modem up to your Powerbook?
(Still should work though, have you tried pppoeconf?)

> It ONLY works with the PC. Perhaps I should have
> said that from the beginning, oops. :-(
> But now I know how to do it if I buy another
> modem, which I can't do right now btw.
> Any suggestion about a good ADSL modem(minimum 8Mbit) which works with Linux?

Rather than buying a new modem i'd buy a DSL router, so you can access
the internet
from all your computers without one of them having to serve as a router.

> Can't the Powerbook access the internet through the PC in another way? :-/
> If not, I will temporary shut off internet
> sharing so that I at least can use ftp through my little
> netowrk.

I'm not really sure I understand your problem. I think you should:

1. Get back to the state where you can FTP between your PC and Powerbook.

2. On the Powerbook, set the PC as the gateway. (Use the static IP you have
assigned to the PC network card connected to your local network). You
can do this by running "route" like I said, or editing
/etc/network/interfaces, like John said. See "man route" and "man
interfaces" for details.

3. Make sure you can use DNS, either using /etc/resolv.conf or find
out how to do it via Windows.