Re: System needs repair after fsck

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:17:57 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:08:05 +0800, Robert Vangel wrote:
>
>> What about `apt-get install --reinstall'
>
> Tried, been there:
>
> # apt-get install --reinstall
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>
> Actually, I tried a lot of things, like
>
> dpkg --get-selections | sed -ne 's,[[:space:]]install$,,p' |     xargs
> apt-get install --reinstall --yes
>
> which I got from the archives; but it won't do the trick:

<snip>

> Reinstallation of libwraster2 is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 954 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgrad
> Need to get 0B/583MB of archives.
> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> E: Couldn't configure pre-depend coreutils for debianutils, probably a depen
> y cycle.
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Reinstallation of lprngtool is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
> Reinstallation of mc-common is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

<snip>

> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 383 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgrad
> Need to get 0B/349MB of archives.
> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on passwd

I also didn't find
"can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct"
on all of google.

dpkg-reconfigure --all
came with many similar errors and finally crashed.

So what I did was
apt-get install --reinstall locale
which removed those error messages.
Then
apt-get install --reinstall dpkg

Finally I selected all packages for reinstall containing fonts:
dpkg --get-selections | grep font | cut -f 1 > fontfile
for fils in `cat fontfile`; do echo "reinstalling $fils"; apt-get install --reinstall $fils --yes; done

and similarly everything about xfce4:
dpkg --get-selections | grep xfce | cut -f 1 > filexfce
for fils in `cat filexfce`; do echo "reinstalling $fils"; apt-get install --reinstall $fils --yes; done

and rebooted. Now most of the fonts are back, and so are the functions of
xfce4 that I had used before.

Overall, this is less than satisfactory; there are surely more problems,
and I would be disappointed if apt / dpkg could not check the integrity of
their respective packages; and worse: missed any 'repair'.

And now I ask for your advice because I have no courage to do the trick as
done above for all packages; like
dpkg --get-selections | cut -f 1 > allfiles
for fils in `cat allfiles`; do echo "reinstalling $fils"; apt-get
install --reinstall $fils --yes; done
since it works now and I don't want to screw the system completely.
Rather, I still have a hope that there is an integrated repair function
for the rest of my problems.

Uwe