Re: Unable to install libncurses5-dev

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Abdul Taha wrote:

Hi Everyone,

[snip]

libncurses5-dev: Depends: libncurses5 (= 5.4-4) but 5.4-8 is to be installed
 E: Broken packages

I'm on kernel version 2.4.27-2-686. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Have you done an apt-get update? What's the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list?

sarge & etch have 5.4-4 while sid has 5.4-8, which is making me a bit suspicious of what is inside there. Had you manually installed any ncurses5 deb's previously?

make menuconfig or rather the lxdialog dir in the scripts dir of the kernel, seems to have trouble with the Debian libncurses5-dev anyway, which I never resolved.

Instead I downloaded ncrurses-5.4.tar.gz from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/
and added prefix=/usr/local to ./configure
and make and make install.
./configure says he installs default to /usr/include but he does not and it will clobber what you got in there.

Then I change /usr/include to /usr/local/include in the Makefile of lxdialog in the script dir of the kernel and your troubles are over.

I must say, I have *never* had any problems like this. It's always been as simple as when it came time to compile my own kernel, I just did `apt-get install libnncurses-dev make gcc' to make sure I had everything I needed. It just worked(tm).

Have you had this problem with just 2.6, or any time?

HTH