Re: Unable to install libncurses5-dev

Abdul Taha wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install 'libncurses5-dev' as a prerequisite
for using make menuconfig, which I'm doing to enable
usb mouse support.

However the install fails due to unmet dependencies I'm not certain
how to resolve:

# apt-get install kernel-package ncurses-dev fakeroot
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Note, selecting libncurses5-dev instead of ncurses-dev
or been moved out of Incoming.

libncurses5-dev: Depends: libncurses5 (= 5.4-4) but 5.4-8 is to be installed
 E: Broken packages

I'm on kernel version 2.4.27-2-686. I would appreciate any suggestions.

make menuconfig or rather the lxdialog dir in the scripts dir of the kernel, seems to have trouble with the Debian libncurses5-dev anyway, which I never resolved.

Instead I downloaded ncrurses-5.4.tar.gz from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/
and added prefix=/usr/local to ./configure
and make and make install.
./configure says he installs default to /usr/include but he does not and it will clobber what you got in there.

Then I change /usr/include to /usr/local/include in the Makefile of lxdialog in the script dir of the kernel and your troubles are over.

HTH