Re: Creating a task launcher.....

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:48:36PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I'd like to make a task launcher that opens an application I have
> installed on my Debian system with Synaptic.

I don't think you mean Synaptic. Or maybe I just got my
binding wrong. You're saying that

1) You installed an app on your system using Synaptic, and
now
2) You'd like to make a task launcher for it.

If I got that right, what do you mean by 'task launcher'?
I know Windows quite well, but I'm not sure what you mean.
Do you mean that you'd like to be able to double-click on
something and make it run a given application?

If you're using GNOME (and if you are, you'll probably see a
little foot icon at the top left of your screen),
right-click on your desktop to create an icon there which
will launch whatever application you're interested in.

> Where do I find the file to link to? Am I looking for an ".exe"
> extension, or something else?

Nearly every Linux program is in one of four places:

/usr/bin/
/bin/
/sbin
/usr/sbin

Of those, the first contains by far the largest number of
programs. On my machine the number of files in /usr/bin is
four times the total from the other three. /usr/bin is where
you'll look for most of what you want.

However, you shouldn't have to look there very often. Your
GNOME menus probably already contain a menu item for every
program you care about.

But let's say you wanted to create a shortcut on your
desktop so that you could double-click and run Firefox. You
could look in /usr/bin (from within Nautilus, say) and see
that there's a file called 'firefox' there. On my machine,
'firefox' is listed as a 'link to shell script' in Nautilus.
If you double-click on it, it runs the web browser. So now
you know that your browser is /usr/bin/firefox.

So now right-click on the GNOME desktop. Click 'Create
Launcher'. Fill in the form in there: 'Name' is 'Firefox'.
'Generic Name' is, I would suppose, 'web browser' (though I
never fill in that field). 'Command' is '/usr/bin/firefox',
though I believe just 'firefox' alone would do it.

This may be too much explanation. I may not even be
explaining what you're after. So I'll leave it there and see
if you have any questions.

> On Windows I look for the .exe, which is often in C:\Programs. I'm
> trying to figure out the Debian equivalent.

You mean C:\Program Files, don't you? I just want to make
sure we're talking about the same thing. /usr/bin is
basically the equivalent of C:\Program Files.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org