Re: Raid on Sarge

Hi,

ATA, Ultra-ATA, SATA... no matter, this is IDE bus speed, the question
being (IMHO) "raid". As you can see on other answers to your question,
and in other threads too, most cheap "hardware raid" controllers (even
SATA) are truly software raid. Only if you card is more than $300 it
could be true hardware raid. I don't know if this is the case.

True hardware raid is better than software raid if your box has to gone
under heavy load. In this case, true hardware raid saves really
needed CPU cycles. If not, since there are free CPU resources, you could
feel there is not difference. If the card is fake raid, go for software
raid just now.

Steps:
1. Partition your devices (I guess this will be hde hdg) exactly the
same.  Usually I do the first partition primary and all the others
logic. Choose type "physical RAID volume" as type.

2. Go to "Set software raid" on the top of partitioning menu

3. Create md devices. You'll need at least a raid1 device to boot from,
it doesn't matter if its /boot or /. When creating a raid 1 device,
you'll be asked a) number of disks on the volume b) number of spare
disks on the volume c) to select the partitions (there will be a
menu listing partitions on both devices) that will do the volume.

If you have two disks, your answers will be a) 2; b) 0; c) probably
disk0part1 + disk1part1. For raid0, you'll need only to (c) select
partitions.

You don't need to do a "swap raid device", just leave swap partitions
out of any md device. After install is done and sarge running, you'll go
to /etc/fstab to set swap partitions with equal priority (1) so kernel
will do their own stripping. This is a standard kernel feature long time
ago. See software-raid howto.

When finished, you can go back to partitioning menu, and the
new md devices will appear at the bottom of partition list.

4. Higlight the only one "partition" showed under each md device and
press enter to set filesystem type, mount point, etc

5) When finished write your changes to disks. Job is done ;-)

Regards,

Roman