Re: Raid on Sarge

Hi,

(I changed the subject so to find it will be more easy for people
googleing or the like. I hope)

I have no idea about raid 10, but these are the important things I found
about raid on sarge

1) Cheap fake raid cards as Promise (I don't know if this is the case),
etc, don't work on 2.6. You could get them working on 2.4, but you'll
need to log into 2nd console before partitioning to do

modprobe pdcraid

in order to get the ataraid device recognized

2) You need to boot from a raid1 partition, say, /boot. Otherwise you'll
get grub errors, also probably lilo will fail to boot.

3) Linux swraid is as good as fake hardware raid and a lot more
flexible, say, you can set raid1 and raid0 devices, while a fakeraid
card tipically lets you only set your disks as raid0 or raid1. So it's
better to disable the "raid" feature, usually by changing a jumper on
the board. Of course, if you do so, you'll be probably unable to get
raid working on windoze

Cheers
Roman