Re: OT xml documents (Was: OT (and Flamebait): Top-Posting)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:30:52 -0400
Lorenzo Taylor <lorenzo@taylor.homelinux.net> wrote:

<snip - discussion about xml for e-mail>
> This is why it's called "extensible markup language".  We could all be
> doing things with email that until today no one even thought possible.
>  But since
> there is currently no XML standard, a few like-minded people like us
> will have to draft it, or else we will have to watch someone else do
> it, like MS, who is now using XML for all their office document
> formats.  Good for them for once. ;-)

You do realize that OpenOffice has been using XML for it's documents
since it was forked from StarOffice, right? It's simply zipped 1) so
that it looks like a single file 2) so it's smaller (same as M$ has said
they will be doing with their xml Office documents, actually).

So we're not having to sit back and watch M$ do something good in this
case. Instead we get to watch them *copy* us and then pat them on the
back for finally joining our crowd. :-)

HAND,
Jacob