Re: System needs repair after fsck

Uwe Dippel wrote:
Last night at boot the system checked (after 30 boots or so) my /usr
partition. It dropped me to console; I did the suggested fsck /dev/hda8.
After the lengthy check it came up; but with some errors; like screwed up
XFCE configuration (some apps missing); some screwed up fonts; and "can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct"
when I 'man foo'. For the rest it works well as far as I have tried.

How to repair the system best without re-installing ?
I read the doc for apt; dpkg; but didn't find an unambiguous check / repair option; like I had used before for RPMs.
Is there any, so that I can make out damaged packages ?

What to do to get the system repaired, that otherwise boots fine ?

Uwe

What about `apt-get install --reinstall'