Re: windowmaker

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:20:04PM -0700, Andy Streich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on advice on this list to maestro I'm considering switching to
> windowmaker:
>
> > I no longer have time to spend hours tweaking config files, and thus
> > prefer an integrated desktop environment, but GNOME and KDE are too
> > bulky for my PIII-650 / 320MB workstation
>
> I'm even resource-poorer with a PII-400/128MB workstation.  I tried KDE,
> switched to GNOME, and now am investigating windowmaker.  Can anyone give me
> pointers to information about what to expect?  Specifically,
>
> 1.  resources to learn/understand windowmaker
Not much to learn/understand.  It is very lightweight, has a decent GUI
configuration tool and is very easy to use.

> 2. email client that works well (and lightly) in that environment (love KMail,
> but the overhead is too much on my system)
I formerly used T-bird, but have since switched to mutt-ng, since it is
now (or very soon will be) in Debian and provides all the features I
need, including some that T-bird lacked.

> 3. package manager, I've been using Synaptic.  Am I right in assuming that
> aptitude is the way to go in a windowmaker environment or am I reduced to the
> command line?
Synaptic works just fine.  In fact, WindowMaker integrates GNOME, KDE,
GTK, Motif, Qt, etc apps very well.  Personally, I like aptitude better
since I can use from any place I can get shell access (which is more
places than from where I can get VNC/XForwarding).

> 4. am I just too optimistic that my old system is adequate to run some kind of
> GUI on linux?
The GUI is not really the issue.  It is the apps.  Heavy apps (Moz
suite, OpenOffice, etc) will tax your system.  A lean GUI will help that
by freeing up more resources for the apps.

> 5. where do I learn about how to change from booting into a GNOME dm to login
> to a windowmaker dm?

If you install wmaker, it will setup the option to log into WindowMaker
from GDM.  This happens automatically.

> FYI I'm a dinosaur that learned programming in FORTRAN with punch cards in the
> '70s.  Even in the '80s 128MB of RAM was a supercomputer and people (from HP
> if I recall correctly) were writing papers claiming that 50Mhz CPUs were
> impossible.

I had a neighbor that worked at IBM back when a bunch of kooks claimed
that were going to make random access storage media (today we call them
hard drives) that were faster and more reliable than tapes :-)  I am
slowly convincing this former neighbor of the virutes of F/OSS.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr