Re: scp and scripts?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:57:31PM -0400, David Clymer wrote:
> I think using:
>
> $ ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub user@machine
>
> is the "proper" way of doing this. It ensures that the file ends up on
> the remote machine with proper permissions set, and adds the appropriate
> entry in the remote ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

Probably so. I've never gotten ssh-copy-id to work for me. I
think maybe that's because I didn't notice the '-i' switch
before now and, per this bug, ssh-copy-id was looking to
copy a file that I didn't have:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ssh/2004/02/msg00075.html

But yes, I think your approach is right. The permissions
issue in particular is something that it took me a while to
figure out: SSH insists on having minimal permissions on the
files within ~/.ssh; I had to look through the SSH client's
verbose logging before I figured out why it was prompting me
for a password.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org