Re: Call for Mentor

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Jules Dubois wrote:

> > But I think I need
> > a mentor to introduce me to how things work and what my first reading
> > list or RTFM should be.

good that you're willing to RTFM...
	- for specific issues, i bet yahoo/google will have some pointers
	and howto

for reading .. i'd read HOWTOs before i read tooo much of the gory details
that might past too high over my itty bitty head

i'm more of a "show me" ... here's $100 bucks for an hour of your time for
when i want to dig into the haystack and dont wannah putz around in it ..

	- there's probably local geeks in the city/town your in that
	has debian or *nix meetings  and/or installfests

- learning new things is always fun .. but .. its a time tradeoff too
	- eg. 5-minute problem should not turn into a 5-day reading list

- if you're local in silly-con-valley, there's a new group starting up
  for doing code hacking and probably will do packaging issues too
	- part of svlug.org

- one thing on my long todo list in between lots of higher priority stuff:
	- create "my-custom-kernel.deb" package  but unfortunately
	for me, i'm avoiding the "RTFM" and will one day look for
	google: "how to create *.deb" howto :-)

c ya
alvin