Re: Posting a log...

Peter Kupfer OOo wrote:
Kent West wrote:
Peter Kupfer wrote:
I just installed Debian on a computer that I also have Windows XP on. I
am having an error and I want post the error log, but I don't know how
to copy the error log from the Debian command line and the paste it into
a Windows e-mail.

Otherwise, a Flashfob or floppy or writable CD might do.
It's generally considered bad form on this list to answer privately; a public posting allows others to help, and archives the results for future seekers of "The Answer".
Could you give me a touch of help on mounting the drive. I tried reading through some stuff on the debian.org documentation page, but I am a little stuck.

I have directory (I think) called /dev/fd0, which I think is my floppy drive, but I am not sure how to mount it. I tried to run '/etc/fstab' but it told me permission was denied and I was logged in as root.
Simplest way in the short term is:

1. Become root ("su -" should do it)
2. If /floppy does not exist, create it ("mkdir /floppy")
3. Insert, and then mount the (previously formatted) floppy ("mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy")
4. Copy the files to the floppy ("cp /var/log/XFree86.0.log /floppy"
5. Unmount the floppy ("umount /floppy"), and eject it
6. Exit from the root shell ("exit")

Another ?: What file system should I input when I try to mount the drive. I tried something like 'mount floppy /floppy' but it said I needed to specify the file system.
See #3 above.

Sorry for all the questions this whole process is very strange to me. :)
It's a steep learning curve, but you'll learn _so_ much, and be better off for it. Good for you!

--
Kent West
Technology Support