Re: nvidia kernel + AMD processor = problems with sound & tv tuner

I never figured-out the 'In-Reply-To' ... whether that can be done somehow
in web based email... where one doesn't really have fine control over the
header.
Any case -- this is in reply to

I'm starting to wonder whether it might be a kernel issue.
Nvidia modules un-installed + using the free/open driver (nv), I cannot
adjust the volume in xine with the new kernel.  When I reboot -- and use the
old 2.6.8-1-k7 kernel** it works without a problem.

The following message describes a kernel problem --

I cannot help this is something similar... whereas I didn't find anything on
the xine-ui bug-report list.  The kernel-image package
http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.6.11-1-k7
doesn't have any bug reports on this either.  Any one seen this before?
Ideas?  Could it be something else?

Thanks,
Michael

** Linux version 2.6.8-1-k7 (joshk@trollwife) (gcc versi
on 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-2)) #1 Thu Nov 25 04:13:37 U
TC 2004

On Sunday 03 July 2005 23:09, Michael Bonert wrote:

	I had the problem that after I installed the nvidia driver I could not use
xawtv   I sovled this by using the argument xawtv -noxv

		peter colton

> I installed the nvidia kernel (details below) and after that and
rebooting:

> I got the nvidia splash screen (the driver seems to load), but...
> the tv tuner card doesn't work, xine sound doesn't work and totem sound
> doesn't work.  Interesting is that XMMS player sound does work.  Without
> the nvidia stuff... the tv tuner, xine and totem all work (as does xmms).
>
> -----
>
> Is this an issue between k7 and i386?
> Why is the nvidia driver screwing with the sound?
> I used gcc 3.3.5 to compile the nvidia-kernel (the original kernel was
> compiled with gcc 3.3.6) -- could this be causing all the trouble?
>
> I found this about the k7 kernels...
> and wonder whether there is a more general issue here.

<SNIPPAGE>