apt

I want to get my back-up script into shape.

I would like to backup my package apt configuration - that is, I would like to backup the files/databases where apt-get stores the info on which packages are installed.

Obviously I would like to be able to use this backup after a hard-drive failure, in order to restore exactly the same packages. Is this possible?

I checked out a debian-specific backup script mentioned in the archives, but couldn't see whether it was doing this.

On a related note, what launches the famd daemon? I came back to my pc after an afternoon out and found that famd had been burning up the CPU for the past few hours.

Thanks
Adam