dh-make-perl problem

First, I'm not sure if this is the best list but it's probably the best
start.

The problem I am having is part debian, part dh-make-perl and probably
perl.  But I'm not sure where one ends and the other begins.  So I
thought I would begin here and see where it takes me.

I am having trouble installing Devel::Cover via dh-make-perl with the
following:

dh-make-perl --build --cpan Devel::Cover

Devel-Cover-0.53/session.vim
Devel-Cover-0.53/all_versions
Removing previously used /home/tom/.cpan/build/Devel-Cover-0.53
Found: Devel-Cover 0.53 (libdevel-cover-perl arch=any)
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/bin/dh-make-perl line 442.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/bin/dh-make-perl line 443.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/bin/dh-make-perl line 444.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/bin/dh-make-perl line 445.
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/bin/dh-make-perl line 445.
Writing tests ........ done

I managed to fix this with the use of --desc (report bug coming on that
one)
but then I get stuck on the following:

Error: /home/tom/Devel-Cover-0.53/Makefile.PL did not return a true value
at /usr/share/perl5/Module/Depends/Intrusive.pm line 60.

running perl Makefile.PL by itself doesn't seem to have a problem.