Re: WHAT the Eff is this???

On (04/07/05 01:23), trevor hamel wrote:
> i recently installed linux. when i finished the installer i as hoped to be gretted with an OS with a display like windows.... what i gto was more like a display of dos. can someone tell me how to get it to not be in command prompt... because i didnt think that was what linux was.... thank you for te help

run as root:

aptitude install x-window-system-core kdm kdebase

which should get you the start of a GUI system (if you'd prefer gnome:
use gdm , gnome instead but as an ex windows user, kde may be more
familiar)

If you have trouble with the X (the window environment) post the errors
to the list.

Regards

Clive

--