(SLIGHTLY OT): PC speaker not working with 2.6.12.2 kernel

I have a small problem after compiling a 2.6.12.2 kernel
(current stable kernel release at kernel.org as I
type). I didn't install a Debian packaged kernel source
because the latest stable Debian package was 2.6.8 and
I fancied something more recent.

Appreciate this is a debian list and so some of you may
think I'm taking liberties a bit asking this question
here, but my experience is you're a bunch of helpful
chaps so here's hoping.

I have a recently-upgraded sarge installation (upgraded
from woody) and have until now been running a 2.4.19
kernel built from the debian package of the source.
Everything works pretty much as it should under the
2.4.19 kernel.

I built the 2.6.12.2 kernel by copying over the .config
from 2.4.19 and using make xconfig to tweak the
settings. I use make-kpkg to compile and make the .deb
file and dpkg to install it. That all goes according to
plan.

However, under my new kernel the PC speaker (which I use
only for beeping me when mail arrives, when I hit tab
in a shell and haven't typed enough to uniquely
identify a file etc) isn't working (no beeps).

I'm guessing there's a kernel option under 2.6 that's
needed to turn the beeper on but wasn't required under
2.4. Can anyone point me at it?

Note I'm NOT trying to use the PC speaker as a sound
card, I know there are folks out there who do that but
I have a perfectly good sound card with perfectly good
speakers, all I want from the PC speaker is the odd
beep at appropriate moments...

Cheers

Mark