Package insall/uninstall weird behaviour

hello.

I have a little problem

running debian 3.1 r0a

i was trying to install a hl5140 driver package, and the only one i seemed to find was an rpm. So i installed it with alien, but it wasn't very useful. Upon uninstallation (w/ Synaptic PM under KDE) all seemed well, but when i try to (re)install a deb version of the package, i get something along the lines of "Package needs to be reinstalled, but i can't find the archive' from apt. alien and dpkg request me to uninstall the package that somehow is still there, but can't do it, giving me something of the sort:

Removing hl5140lpr ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/hl5140lpr.postrm: line 3: /etc/init.d/lpd: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing hl5140lpr (--remove):
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
hl5140lpr
RESULT=100

Any ideas how to get rid of the old pacake so i can install the new one..? or how to reinstall the new one Over the old?

thanks

adijr.