CD burner and automount experiences/misadventures w/ kernel 2.6.8 on sarge

I just recently upgraded from woody to sarge and struggled to get my CD burner (SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-348B, ATAPI) and automount to work. Since I could not find a cogent and concise description in any one document, thought I would share with the list how I finally succeeded with the kernel 2.6.8. I originally thought I would have to upgrade to a more recent version of the kernel since I found numerous references to a problem with the kernel 2.6.8 and atapi cd burners. Fortunately, this turned out not to be the case.

Following the Sarge release notes [http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes.en.txt] for upgrading from a previous release, I upgraded to sarge then installed kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686. I removed all references to ide-scsi from '/etc/lilo.conf' and '/etc/modules' and added ide-cd, ide-disk and ide-generic to '/etc/modules'. Added (or verified) my username was a member of groups: disk, cdrom, floppy, plugdev and adm (not sure if this last one is necessary). Use
   adduser <username> <group>
as root to do this.

The gnome-volume-manager provides automount for removable devices. It, in turn, requires udev, d-bus (dbus-1, dbus-glib-1) and HAL. Some (if not all) of these packages were added or upgraded in the distribution upgrade. However, the gnome-volume-manager was not installed to start (auto-magically). I added it to the startup menu for my gnome session using: Applications->Desktop Preferences->Advanced->Sessions (Startup Programs tab) Can now automount pre-recorded CD's and burn new ones using the Nautilus file manager. :-)

--
Carl