Re: installing sarge to lvm

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 11:46 pm, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:39:03PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > I'm confused by the sarge installer. I have a single 250g hard drive
> > that I would like to manage entirely with lvm. The installer wants to
> > partition the drive *before* configuring lvm but I thought that
> > partitions existed within the lvm. Have I misunderstood? How should I do
> > the initial partitioning? Do I setup a small boot and then the rest as
> > root?
>
> You need at least one partition to make the physical volume for LVM.
> Additionally, I would do this:
>
> /dev/hda1: XX MB (swap)
> /dev/hda2: 64 MB (/boot)
> /dev/hda3: 512 MB (/)
> /dev/hda4: the rest (LVM PV)
>
> I suggest that because having /boot and / on an LVM logical volume can
> get to be a pain when it comes to booting.
>
> -Roberto

I can second this -- don't put / or /boot under LVM control, just /'s large
subdirectories, like /usr, /var, /home, etc, but not /bin, /sbin, /lib, or
other directories that contain important system recovery tools. For example,
the LVM tools are in /sbin -- if you break your LVM tools or kernel LVM
support somehow (I've done it), with / (and thus /sbin) on an LVM partition,
you'll have quite a mess to deal with when you reboot.

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber