Side effect of samba?

I've installed samba, samba-doc and tethereal, and now my dial-up connection does not work. pon connects me to my ISP, and I can ping the ISP server as well as my address, but I get nothing from pinging anything else, include the name servers. Needless to say I cannot use apt-get now either - it cannot find the debian servers. All I have done is install the three packages listed above [which I downloaded over the web on my Debian PC]. Is this what you'd expect? Have I inadvertently set some security option or has installation of samba rerouted where my PC looks? Regards
- Joe