Re: Newbie: Setting up different Window Manager's

pvbedu-pereira@yahoo.com.br wrote:
i've just installed linux on my machine for the first
time, the sarge dist, and since i haven't any
experience with the differents window managers i was
thinking in installing a couple of them and play with
them for a while until I decide. My problem is, how
can I from the command line start different window
managers? 'Cause when I do a 'startx' it only loads
the default window manager, right? so how can I do it?
i was thinking in trying kde, gnome, icewm,
windowMaker and fvwm, probably not all of them but
some...

thanks in advance for the help,
E. Pereira

Hi,

In your ~/.xinitrc you can control what window manager you use. For windowmaker your ~/.xinitrc would look like this:

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

exec wmaker

for example .. for icewm you would use icewm instead of wmaker, KDE would be startkde, gnome would be gnome-session, fvwm would be fvwm ..

HTH,
Jeff