Re: Trouble configuring LVM after RAID1 on Sarge -- help

On 6/29/05, peter colton <dotdebsarge@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 08:04, Siju George wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I did the following steps over and over.
> >
> > I have 2 80 GB hard disks
> >
> > During partitioning I
> >
> > 1) Partitioned both disks Identically into 3 partitions and marked
> > them as physical volume for RAID. The partition sizes are 2GB, 300MB,
> > and rest of the disk.
> >
> > 2) Then I configured RAID 1 on all partitions and I got 3 raid devices
> > namely 0, 1, 2 ( as displayed in the nstaller ) with 2GB, 300MB and
> > device 2 with the restof the disk space.
> >
> > 3) Now I make RAID device 0 as Swap
> >
> > 4) Then I make RAID device 1 as ext2 /boot
> >
> > 5) I make RAID device 2 as physical volume for LVM
> >
> > 6) I go to "Configure Logical Volume Manager" It says Partition table
> > of RAID1 device 2 is changed and it needs to rewrite the partition
> > table before configuring LVM. I say "YES"
> >
> > and it tells me
> >
> > The kernel was unale to re-read the partition table on /dev/md/2 (
> > Invalid Argument )
> >
> > This means Linux won't know anything nothing about modification you
> > made untill you reboot. you should reboot your computer before doing
> > anything with  /dev/md/2
> >

> > When I reboot the Rais Devices are gone and i go through the circle
> > again and again???
> >
> > What is it that I am missing??? Could some one please point out??
> >
> > Thanksa lot to all of you for teaching me RAID :-) now its RAID + LVM
> > that I am trying to learn :-)
> >
> > kind regards
> >
> > Siju
> >

> > 7)
>                 hello  Siju
>
>         here a link for settiny a raid 1 with the sarge installer, hope it can be of
> help.
>
> http://nepotismia.com/debian/raidinstall/
>
>                bye for now

Thanks a lot peter :-) somehow after a lot of trying I got RAID1 set
up correctly on sarge with 2 disks. but I could not do RAID1 + LVM
thats where the ting broke.

If I install LVM I get only Lilo to boot and it doesnot successfully
install either. I have 2 80 GB hard disks and am apprehensive of using
Lilo because I have heard of bugs in it.

Your link with the screenshots is fantastic :-)
Wish I had it a few days before :-)

But if you install GRUB as he mentions in the last step it will only
get installed on the first hard disk. Hence if the first hard disk
fails your system won't boot. So to make your system bootable you
should install lillo on the second hard disk too. you ca do it in the
following way

This was sent to me by one of my friends named Sudev

------------------------------
To do this (#comments may be wrapped):
1. sfdisk -a /dev/firstdisk > partitions.firstdisk
 #hda/sda depends on hardware.
2. sfdisk -a /dev/seconddisk > partition.seconddisk
 #these two just to keep partition information.
3. grub
 # this will drop you to grub prompt
>find /grub/stage1
 #note the output (hd0,0)(hd1,0) #This is showing all drives, in grub
addressing, available
>device (hd0) /dev/sdb
 # hdb for ide
>root (hd0,0)
 #making second drive as first temporarily for next step
>setup (hd0)
 # watch output fly past as MBR is generated on second disk
>quit
4. Now run the system with either hard disk plugged out to test boot. Do
not go beyond boot else your raid will need to be re-synced.

I had some issues while following this because

> find /grub/stage1

did not work since I didn't have  /boot on a seperate partition.

I had to use

> find /boot/grub/stage1

and it worked.

then I had to give the disks and drives correctly.

Thanks a lot for the link :-)

kind regards

Siju