Re: help scp or rsync

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, roberto wrote:

> hello
> i have to get my entire  /home/myself from machine B (debian sarge, k 2.6.8)
> to my actual machine A to make a backup copy,
>
> could you please address me where i can find  the correct procedure to do this using rsync or scp?

machineB# ssh -l myself ls -la /tmp
machineB# ssh -l myself touch /home/myself/rsync-rsh.test.txt

	-- if that command works, ... keep going .. else start "thinking"
	as to why it didn't work

	-- you probably need to setup rsh or ssh

#
# simplified rsync'ing home dir
#
machineB# rsync -v /home/myself machineA:/home

on machineA
	- make sure it exports to only machineB as rw

	vi /etc/exports
		/home	machineA(rw)
	restart nfs

	use (rw,no_root_squash) if you do the rsync as root which is
	a bad idea

c ya
alvin