RE: mouse and kvm switch

Adam Hardy wrote:
> My mouse is created problems when I switch back to xfree86 on my
> debian box using my kvm.

I test drove half a dozen KVM switches a few years backing trying to find one
that could do AT/COM1 (AT motherboards) and PS/2 (ATX motherboards) plus DOS,
Windows, Linux, BSD O/S's.  As best I can tell, it's a nightmare for O/S and KVM
developers because there are many proprietary (closed-source) keyboard and/or
mouse protocols out there (especially mice).  Going from memory, only the IOGear
worked correctly, but pressing Ctrl twice was a hotkey sequence for changing
consoles.  This interfered with games that use the Ctrl key (such as Duke Nukem
3D).  I asked IOGear, and there was no way to disable this feature.  I ended up
keeping a Raritan Switchman, but I have to live with it freezing up for 5~10
seconds several times per hour.  I went round and round with Raritan technical
support, exchanged the unit, bought a power supply (unit is normally powered by
PS/2 computers), etc., to no avail.  I think the real issue is their firmware,
but they won't admit it (likely because there's no way to field upgrade it).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the IOGear, have a dedicated keyboard
and mouse for the game box, and use the KVM for video only.  I'd make sure to
get a unit with field-upgradeable firmware.

My $0.02,

David