Re: saslauthd does not start at reboot

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 03:34:48PM -0700, Caleb Walker wrote:
I had to do some modifications because of postfix's chroot and smtp
auth.  I have /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd where the pid files
and socket files are located and then I linked this saslauthd to
/var/run/saslauthd but everytime I reboot the link in /var/run is
removed and saslauthd does not start until I recreate the link.  Is
there a way to maintain this link or a better way to get around the
postfix chroot so that everytime I reboot saslauthd starts correctly?

You'll either have to edit the saslauthd script to create the link for
you, or change the way you handle the chroot. I ran into this same
problem a while back.

What may work better (and what I currently do) is mount
/var/run/saslauthd at /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd with a bind
mount. The relevant line in /etc/fstab is shown below.

/var/run/saslauthd /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd none rw,bind 0 0

There's some more info on the guide I wrote a while back, though it may
not include the bind mount. Start at
http://wiki.ev-15.com/debian:mail_system#sasl
and there may be more information you can use there.

Hope this helps,

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/