Re: DRM failure with ATI radeon 9200 and Kernel 2.6

Well, I suppose, but this is all automatic.  To my knowledge, I haven't
specified it anywhere.  One thing bothers me a little --- this is an AGP card,
why is the bus id a PCI specification?  Is that part normal?

I think there might be an autoconfiguration script that creates the config file with the bus ID in it.  My usual way to create a sample config is to run
# X -configure
Which is asking X itself to probe instead of doing something like use discover, or whatever other methods may be around.  I think agp is more like PCI with a bunch of extensions to it than a completely different infrastructure, so showing up as a PCI bus slot isn't that weird.  I think that you can tell it in the config to treat it like an AGP instead of as a PCI.

> Did you check it against lspci?
I have done so now. ;-)
Here's the relevant lines:
"""
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)
0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (Secondary) (rev 01)
"""

I'm a little uncertain about how to read the bus ids here, but they look plausible.  Maybe
it should read PCI:1:0:1 or PCI:0:1:0?  Even if I want to change this, though, where do I
put the information?  Is there a line in XF86Config-4 for this?  I suppose I can try to
set these with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" -- I'm pretty sure there is an option to
specify the bus.  But what should I tell it, if this isn't right?

I have a multihead setup, and you can't avoid the bus ID's, and I have yet to see a multihead config program.  You might not be able to avoid reading the docs.  They are big, and complicated.  Sometimes the setup debian gives you isn't enough.

> Or maybe just the syntax of that line wrong?

Um, which line?  Again, I don't know where this would be specified.  A syntax error
sounds promising, but I don't know where to look for it.  ISTM, whatever syntax is
being used is being created by the driver software?

I'm willing to go to a new driver or whatever if that's required, but this looks like a
very minor problem --- it seems like there *ought* to be something I can specify
somewhere to make this behave.

Yeah look for the stuff about bus ID, and make sure it is loading the right driver.

I'm also looking at the Gatos project and the Debugging DRI page:
http://gatos.sourceforge.net/dri-debug.php

but it appears to me that this would involve compiling and installing new drivers,
which means getting kernel-headers and so on.  I'd like to avoid that if there's a
simple configuration solution (which I'd likely have to solve anyway, even for new
drivers).

The Gatos  project  covers  different  stuff.   That is more about accessing other features of ATI cards.  You don't need it to display to a monitor, and technically if you don't care about acceleration you can use a generic VESA driver.