Sound problem: My green output jack doesn't relay any data.

I've got three jacks together on my T3985 (Celeron system with all the stuff in the motherboard):

My new debian system doesn't relay any sound to my speakers. I've tried two sets of speakers, and both sets work on my other system's cd drive jack. The sound plug area in the back of my new system has three holes, and the "line out" output is the same green plastic as the male part on the wire to the speakers. The other two holes say MIC (orange) and "line out" (light blue). Another system I recently tried to install linux on also could not put sound out and it also had the same three jack holes (apparently that's popular now?). I wonder if the driver expects only one or two holes and is confused by seeing three?

I've looked at some postings about problems like this, and none seems to match mine exactly. One said the guy could play on root, but I tried that with cdplay start on this, and it still didn't make noise. I'm not sure what else to look for.

I think the special files are /dev/dsp*, and I changed these to protection 666. I run CD Player to test the sound and it runs and identifies a Duke Ellington CD, but the sound just don't come out even though it shows the CD playing.

I'm not sure if the drivers for audio are all there. The only thing I see is something called "soundcore", but perhaps that's all that's needed:

joehill:~# lsmod
soundcore               3268   0  (autoclean)
input                   3040   0  (autoclean)
i830                   57852   2
agpgart                39108  11  (autoclean)
apm                     8428   1  (autoclean)
parport_pc             19432   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5540   0  (autoclean)
parport                21608   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
joehill:~# lsmod
soundcore               3268   0  (autoclean)
input                   3040   0  (autoclean)
i830                   57852   2
agpgart                39108  11  (autoclean)
apm                     8428   1  (autoclean)
parport_pc             19432   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5540   0  (autoclean)
parport                21608   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
af_packet              11048   1  (autoclean)
usb-storage            54496   0  (unused)
ehci-hcd               14764   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               19504   0  (unused)
usbcore                52268   1  [usb-storage ehci-hcd usb-uhci]
ide-scsi                8272   0
e100                   42868   1
sd_mod                 10764   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               86052   3  [usb-storage ide-scsi sd_mod]
ide-cd                 27072   0
cdrom                  26212   0  [ide-cd]
rtc                     5768   0  (autoclean)
ext3                   65388   5  (autoclean)
jbd                    34628   5  (autoclean) [ext3]
ide-detect               288   0  (autoclean) (unused)
piix                    7784   2  (autoclean)
ide-disk               12448   6  (autoclean)
ide-core 91832 6 (autoclean) [usb-storage ide-scsi ide-cd ide-detect piix ide-disk]
unix                   12752 221  (autoclean)
joehill:~ #

Thank you for any feedback.
Sincerely, Xeno

--
Xeno Campanoli, xeno@eskimo.com, http://www.eskimo.com/~xeno
Pride before justice      equals destabilization.